The Herald

The Student News Site of Westbury High School

The Herald

The Herald

The Herald

March 18 ,2024
March 18 ,2024
March 18, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024

Vibrant Celebration: Westbury High School Students and Staff Shine in Hispanic Heritage Assembly

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, “It is important for all of us to appreciate where we come from and how that history has really shaped us in ways that we might not understand.” On October 27th, 2023, Westbury High School’s Cultural Navigation Club, in collaboration with CCLC, showcased a remarkable Hispanic Heritage performance that did just that. The Westbury Union Free School District takes pride in its commitment to inclusivity and the celebration of diverse cultures. Through various cultural assemblies held throughout the year, students are encouraged to embrace their heritage and learn more about themselves.

Head Dean Rosemarie Rojas explains, “The purpose of our cultural assemblies throughout the year is to create the opportunity for staff and students to explore and learn about the diverse talents and cultures of our Westbury High School community. It’s about learning the roots and celebrating our unique identities and cultural backgrounds so that everyone can gain a deeper appreciation for the richness and diversity of Westbury.” Student and staff participants and spectators alike express their enjoyment of the assemblies, leaving the performances with newfound knowledge and appreciation for different cultures.

Sophomore Neveah Moody shares, “I enjoyed Hispanic Heritage Month this year because I feel like I got to expand my knowledge on the different cultures that we celebrated this year.” 

The cultural assemblies bring us all together, reminding us of our shared history. Head Dean Rojas emphasizes, “Every assembly is unique and is filled with new lessons. I feel the cultural assemblies bring us together, building relationships and connections with each other that create a respectful and welcome environment, strengthening our Westbury school culture.” The Westbury community continues to unite and celebrate these assemblies, which allow individuals to learn more about our varied cultures and leave with a deeper understanding of who we really are.