The Herald

The Student News Site of Westbury High School

The Herald

The Herald

The Herald

March 18 ,2024
March 18 ,2024
March 18, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024

Championing Legacy: Westbury High School Honors Coach with Dedication of Donald R. Ross Track and Field Complex

Westbury High School unveils the Donald R. Ross Track and Field Complex, marking a legacy of dedication, hard work, and inspiration.
Laser Alert

Westbury High School’s Track Coach, Donald Ross, once stated, “As long as my kids work, we can beat anyone in the country.” Few coaches can claim the honor of having a track complex named after them and an entire day dedicated to their contributions. Coach Ross, however, is among those exceptional few.

On October 14, 2023, the high school and community rejoiced in unity as they celebrated Coach Ross’s remarkable dedication during a heartfelt ceremony in his honor. The Board of Education and Westbury Union Free School District officially acknowledged his outstanding hard work by naming and dedicating the brand new Westbury High School track as the Donald R. Ross Track and Field Complex. The town of North Hempstead also paid tribute to Coach Ross’s impact on the community by declaring October 14 as “Ross Day” in his honor. Reflecting on this recognition, Coach Ross expressed, “I feel very proud and honored that the district of Westbury High School has recognized me as a person to name a track field complex after. I hope I don’t let anyone down in the future. Go Westbury!”

Coach Ross has transformed lives and people’s perspectives about what they are capable of doing and how they can improve. Senior Destiny Torres shared, “Ross makes me want to stay consistent in my field event. I never wanted to do track, but he always encouraged me to try new things. It turns out it’s one of the best things I’ve ever participated in. He motivates me to do many things that I thought I would have never done.” 

Expressing his motivation behind his efforts, Coach Ross stated, “This is something I did myself and I wanted to show the kids of Westbury that there’s always a way out if you’re willing to work for it.” As Coach Ross continues to inspire and lead, the Westbury community eagerly anticipates the remarkable things he will achieve in the future.