The Herald

The Student News Site of Westbury High School

The Herald

The Herald

The Herald

March 18 ,2024
March 18 ,2024
March 18, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024

The Enduring Influence of the WHS NJROTC

Cadets smile in a group photo after putting up Christmas decorations at the local Veterans Memorial

Westbury High School’s NJROTC is more than just a program that instills leadership and discipline. It instills character and a sense of service to those in their community. Many Westbury cadets have learned the value of assisting not only those in our school, but also those who live even closer to us. 

Our acts of service do not end once the school year is over but continue throughout the summer as well. Over the summer, cadets in our unit’s summer program would come every week and help the custodians move desks in and out of classrooms in preparation for the upcoming school year. 

Throughout the school year, cadets have always shown up early in large numbers, whether it be outside in 30 degree weather or inside, ready to do more than what is expected of them. 

Our cadets have volunteered at a multitude of different events, ranging from ushering at high school reunions to setting up Spooky Walks and many more. For the holidays, over 30 cadets helped to not only put up Christmas lights at our local Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park but to take them down once the holidays were over. We also helped our local Marine Corps in their annual Toys for Tots drive. Cadets graciously collected and organized donated toys into boxes that would be sent to less fortunate children. 

In January, our cadets, joined by students from our district’s elementary and middle schools, represented our high school in our town’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day presentation. In front of more than 50 community members, our cadets stood together and honored the late Martin Luther King Jr., setting a good example for their younger peers. Our Color Guard proudly displayed our nation’s colors, and our cadet CMC led the pledge of allegiance prior to one of our own cadets singing the national anthem. Three of our cadets would end the celebration by reciting three of Martin Luther King’s famous speeches. 

Ever since NJROTC has begun in our high school, cadets have constantly represented our school well and have not only been outstanding cadets but exemplary community members as well. Cadets have learned the importance of teamwork and helping those around them, while also striving to be active in their community. Constantly, cadets are looking forward to and asking about upcoming volunteer opportunities. So far, our unit has accumulated over 1,000 hours of community service. 

As high schoolers, our cadets are already making a difference in our community. Our impact in our community is prevalent and has grown immensely. We are known to always lend a helping hand, and members of our community always look to Westbury’s NJROTC whenever they are in need of help.