Green Dragons Face Baldwin High for Homecoming Game

Westbury High School faced off against Baldwin High School at the Homecoming football game on Oct. 29. The game saw Baldwin as the victor, ending with a score of 16-34.

With the stands completely full, those in attendance were ready to cheer on the Green Dragons. Although Westbury lost, fans were still excited to be there and take part in the event. One fan said that the game was very interesting to watch and that they were captivated throughout it. Another stated that while they were disappointed that the Green Dragons lost, they were ready to see what they would bring to the field next year.

The cheerleaders performed during halftime, with many saying that they were one of the best parts of the game. The marching band also made their way to the football field to perform, their sound being heard throughout the stadium. After fans got some food during halftime, they ran back to listen to the marching band play. “I am really happy with how well the students did, especially at our first game when we played around 30 pep band songs in the stands after only two weeks of school. I am also happy to see some of the growth and improvements in the program come to fruition, which included a more complex marching show, more integration of the drumline, and two on field student drum majors who conduct the band and lead them in performance and in parade,” Band Leader Michael Rubenstein said.

Class representatives from all grades sold food during the game, which was needed with all the action making fans hungry. There were burgers, chips, snacks, water, and more available. Along with the food, some classes also had items for sale, like t-shirts and bracelets.

Many who attended the game said that they were looking forward to seeing what next year’s Homecoming would bring. The intense preparation involved in this event was evident and everyone who worked to make it successful was proud of the result. There is no doubt that Homecoming will be just as great, if not better, next year.