The Herald

The Student News Site of Westbury High School

The Herald

The Herald

The Herald

March 18 ,2024
March 18 ,2024
March 18, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024

French Honor Society Immerses Themselves in “Beyond Monet” Exhibit

French Honor Society Immerses Themselves in Beyond Monet Exhibit

On December 14th 2023, students from the French Honor Society, STRIVE program and upper level French courses, accompanied by Ms. Holle Nason, Ms. Singleton, Dr. Forker, Ms. Carambia, and Ms.Westbury High Explores ‘Beyond Monet’ Exhibit, Dives into the Digital Rendition of Artistic Brilliance DeMaio, took a visit to the “Beyond Monet” exhibit. This exhibition, located here in Westbury, breathes digital life into some of Claude Monet’s most iconic paintings. Each painting is accompanied with words that discover the hidden gems that were the life of Monet, through his art. 

Claude Monet was a French painter born in 1840 on Rue Laffitte, in Paris. He is credited as the founder of the Impressionist painting movement. The term “Impressionism” originated from the title of a painting, by Monet, “Impression, soleil levant.” Monet’s love of painting landscapes happened as a result of his growing up documenting the French countryside. His paintings capture the shifts of seasons and the turn of the 20th century. Monet’s popularity grew after he became a huge inspiration to developing painters in the 20th century who wanted to break free of the confines “normal” art created for them. His most famous paintings include “Woman with a Parasol” and “The Water Lily Pond.”

After viewing the hour-long exhibit, students enjoyed a lunch at French Honor Society sponsor, Toskana pizza.  The exhibit runs through January 4th, 2023 at the Samaea NY Mall.