The Herald

The Student News Site of Westbury High School

The Herald

The Herald

The Herald

March 18 ,2024
March 18 ,2024
March 18, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 15, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024
March 14, 2024

Empowering Voices: Superintendent Implements Student Advisory Council

Laser Alert

On November 6, 2023, I had the opportunity and pleasure to interview Dr. Tahira Dupree Chase, Superintendent of the Westbury Union Free School District. Here, we speak about the plans and goals of the new Superintendent Student Advisory Council [SSAC].

What is the Superintendent Student Advisory Council and what is the purpose of SSAC?

The Superintendent Student Advisory Council, nicknamed Super SAC, is a committee council of scholars from grades 10-12 who will serve as an advisory group to me in which this particular group will help me make important decisions about the District, they will share with me their experience as a scholar, and they will also help me improve student and family experiences here at Westbury. It is an opportunity to hear students’ voices because we don’t always ask the user their thoughts and ideas about programs that we bring in and I want to hear from them, I want to hear what they believe would make the district better, [provide] a better experience.

Is the SSAC a new program and if it is, what do you plan on doing?

So, this is our inaugural program, meaning it’s the first of its kind! I anticipate having this program in subsequent years. I know this is going to be successful, but I think this year would help me to find it even more. My goal is to open it beyond grades 10-12, but to also open it for other high school students, middle schools students and eventually elementary.

What was your inspiration for starting SSAC?

Elevating students’ voices! I think that we spend so much time asking the adults about decisions for children. I think it’s time that we ask the children about decisions for themselves. I want to hear their voices. I want to hear what matters most. I want to talk about what they enjoy. I want to hear what maybe poses a challenge and try to get rid of those barriers and challenges so they can have a better experience. So what inspired me was going into the classroom and students saying things to me, asking me questions. There was a group of students from the high school who wrote letters to me last year and they wrote letters giving me their opinion about things ranging from the school lunch to the change of the start of school time. We had made the decision to change the start of school and we didn’t ask the students how this impacted them and they gave me their opinion and I said I have to start listening to the students more.

What will people be able to expect for SSAC?

They’re going to be able to expect to be heard, to be seen, have their opinions respected, their opinions considered. We expect that the scholars who will be a part of this, will be the voices of a variety of scholars. There will be a variety of student bodies there. This is a very diverse group with diverse opinions and diverse thoughts and as a collective we will move forward together.

Since the purpose of SSAC is to make an impact on our district, what will you do with the students’ ideas and how will they contribute?

We are in the process of budgeting. I will take those ideas into consideration as we are budgeting. They won’t see everything that we come up with, but they will begin to see some of the ideas, things that I can possibly do. Then maybe some of the things that I have to do are long term and some that I can do short term so students will begin to see their voices in some of the decisions that I make moving forward.

What benefits can students receive from joining SSAC?

Well, Number #1 is that they learn advocacy. They learn how to advocate for themselves and for their counterparts or their colleagues or their friends or their classmates. They get to be a part of the decision-making process in the district and that is something that students don’t always get to do. You see, students receive the decisions; they don’t really get a chance to sit at a table, so here is an opportunity to sit at the table and participate in the decision making process. They also learn a little bit about budgeting. They are going to learn about how we make decisions and why sometimes, there are things that we want that we just can’t do – they’re not feasible – and there are things that we can do and we can take into consideration.

How do you plan on inspiring students?

I plan on inspiring students by being my authentic self. I want the students to get to know me. They need to know who is the final decision maker of the school districts. They need to know who also represents them, which is myself. I think that when they see my authentic self, they hear my story. I think they watch my process for decision making and I hope I will inspire them to possibly go into education as well.

Why is it important for young adolescence to experience leadership?

Leadership is everything! We have so many followers in the world and not enough leaders and what I am hoping through everything we do in Westbury is that we are encouraging our scholars to become leaders, to become those who think for themselves, those who think differently and are not always following the masses. Part of our jobs in education is not to tell the students what to think, but to teach them how to think. That’s what I hope they will do.

Have you received positive feedback from students?

I welcome positive feedback and I also welcome constructive thought. Tell me things that are challenging. Tell me the things that you want me to know. Just don’t tell me what you think I want to hear. But, I welcome the positive feedback. And positive feedback lets me know that we are doing the right things.

What is your message to the students of Westbury UFSD?

First, I love you. I do, they’re like my heart. My message is to continue to be your authentic self and live in your truth. You were beautifully, uniquely, and wonderfully made and don’t let anyone take that from you. Keep thriving, keep going. You’re the leaders of tomorrow and I can’t wait to see what tomorrow will be with you all leading.